Dr. Jennifer McGee joined the department as an assistant professor in 2012. Prior to joining Appalachian as a faculty member, Dr. McGee was a high school agriculture teacher. She currently teaches courses in research methods, applied statistics, and classroom assessment.
She completed her Ed.D. in educational leadership with a specialization in research and evaluation in 2012 from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Dr. McGee’s research interests include: assessment, program evaluation, self-efficacy, and S.T.E.M. education. In 2019, she was the recipient of the college's Outstanding Scholarship/Creative Achievement Award.
She has published in such journals as the Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, Action in Teacher Education, and the International Journal of Educational Research.
Dr. McGee is a member of American Educational Research Association (AERA), North Carolina Association for Research in Education (NCARE), American Evaluation Association (AEA), and North Carolina Evaluator's Network (NCEN). She holds leadership positions for following organizations:
- Chair, Professors of Educational Research Special Interest Group (SIG), American Educational Research Association (2023 - 2024)
- Program Chair, Survey Research in Education Special Interest Group (SIG), American Educational Research Association (2023 - 2024)
- University Research Council, Appalachian State University (2023 - 2026)
- McGee J. R., Shoaf, G., Huelsman, T., McClannon, T. W., & Spooner, M. (under review). Lifting an Even Heavier Load: Teacher Burnout During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Submitted for the 2023 NCARE Outstanding Paper Award.
- Tashakkori, R., Norris, C., & McGee, J. R. (2023). Success with S-STEM: The Appalachian High Achievers in STEM. Association for Computing Machinery Southeast (ACMSE) 2023 Proceedings (Full Paper).
- McGee, J. R., Shoaf, G., Huelsman, T., & McClannon, T. (2022). The complexity of teacher job satisfaction: Balancing joys and challenges. Journal of School Leadership, 0(0), 1-15. DOI: 10.1177/10526846221143039
- McGee, J. R., Colby, S. A., & Reeder, H. (2021). Preparing candidates for edTPA task 3 assessment: The experience of one educator preparation program. Journal of Applied Educational and Policy Research, 6(1), 1-18. https://journals.uncc.edu/jaepr/issue/view/101
- McGee, J. R., & Tashakkori, R. (2021). STEM scholars’ sense of community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of College Science Teaching, 51(1), 50-58.https://www.nsta.org/journal-college-science-teaching/journal-college-science-teaching-septemberoctober-2021/stem
Click here for Dr. McGee's CV.
Title: Professor, Research
Department: Department of Leadership and Educational Studies
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2270
Office address412 K
College of Education Building